Luckily, all Fitbit smartwatches are water-resistant, and some models even have a water lock feature. Water lock mode protects your device from unintentional button presses and screen keys.
With this water lock mode, you will be able to track your swimming and other underwater activities with your Fitbit watch. As a result, you can swim and dive without risking damage.
This guide will explain what water lock mode is all about. We’ll also see how to turn this feature on and off on your Fitbit devices.
So, without further ado, let’s get started.
- What is Water Lock Mode on the Fitbit?
- Which Fitbit Wearables Have Water Lock Mode?
- How does the Water Lock Mode Work?
- How does the Water Lock activate?
- Manually Turn on Water Lock
- Manually Turn Off the Water Lock
- What should you do if your Fitbit keeps activating the water lock even when you aren’t near water?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Water Lock Mode on the Fitbit?
Water lock mode is a feature that protects the Fitbit watch from water damage. The Water Lock Feature prevents the display from moving. When Fitbit detects water, it locks the screen but does not turn off the tracker. It is done to continue to track your activities while swimming.
Additionally, you may use this mode to monitor your swimming progress while using the stopwatch function on your Fitbit Smartwatch.
Which Fitbit Wearables Have Water Lock Mode?
Several Fitbit wearables, including;
- Fitbit Luxe
- Fitbit Ace 3
- Fitbit Sense
- Fitbit Inspire 2
- Versa 3
- Charge HR
How does the Water Lock Mode Work?
Your watch will be safe from water damage if you activate water lock mode. You can wear it while swimming without fearing damage from water or dampness because all sensors and the phone’s display are turned off. But all this is possible when you activate this feature.
How does the Water Lock activate?
Surprisingly, a few Fitbit models allow you to enable Fitbit Water Lock manually. Activating the mode requires only a touch screen gesture or holding down the home button for a few seconds.
There is currently a manual option to switch on the water lock on the Fitbit Inspire 2, Ace 3, Charge 5, and Fitbit Luxe watches. Further, the water lock mode is also available on the Sense and Versa 3. However, it automatically activates when you begin a swim in the Exercise app.
Manually Turn on Water Lock
- Go to the Quick Settings menu on your Fitbit.
- Press the Water Lock icon on your screen.
- Double-tap the screen.
When the water lock is activated, your Fitbit’s screen will be locked, and the water lock icon will appear on your device’s screen. Alarms and notifications will appear on your screen, but you will be unable to engage with them since your touch screen is unresponsive.
Another option in the Fitbit Settings app, named Button Lock, is available for some fitness tracker models by Fitbit. It prevents the buttons from being pressed when the screen is off.
- Open the Fitbit Settings app.
- Turn on Button Lock by selecting it from the drop-down menu.
- Tap the checkmark if you’re sure you want it turned on.
Unfortunately, activating Button Lock speeds up battery depletion and necessitates more regular charging of your Fitbit.
Manually Turn Off the Water Lock
- Double-tap your screen firmly.
- If you don’t see Unlocked on your Fitbit’s screen, tap harder
Sometimes, when you are not showering, swimming, or engaged in water-based activities, your Fitbit will automatically activate the Water lock. In this case, you can try pressing the side buttons.
If you’ve done swimming but cannot reset your Fitbit to normal, don’t worry. Here are simple ways to help you get your device out of water lock mode.
Before troubleshooting, you should wipe your Fitbit with a microfiber cloth to remove any water droplets. After disabling the water lock, make sure your fingertips are dry and apply lotion.
Try a Stronger Double-tap
- Double-tap the Fitbit screen with more force than usual. If that doesn’t work, try using multiple fingers or the palm of your hand.
- If the screen displays a notification about turning off the water lock, tap it twice.
- Using Fitbit Inspire 2, double-tap the screen and press the side buttons simultaneously.
Charge Your Fitbit
Connect the Fitbit to a charger and see whether it can be unlocked from the water lock. It will only work if the Fitbit is charging.
Change the Fitbit’s Clock Face
Another way to resolve this issue is to change the Fitbit app’s clock face temporarily. Restore the default clock face once it’s back to normal.
- Open the Fitbit app.
- Go to the Today tab, then your profile icon or picture.
- Select Clock Faces from the drop-down menu.
- You can change the clock face by selecting and installing a new one. It’s best to go with a Fitbit version.
Restart Your Fitbit Manually
- For Fitbit Inspire 2, plug in the charger and press and release both side buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Your Fitbit will vibrate, and a cheerful face will display on your screen.
- If you have a Fitbit Luxe, connect it to the charger and push the button on the charger three times, pausing for one second each time. The Fitbit logo will now appear.
- When using the Fitbit Versa 3 or Sense, press and hold the side buttons for 10 seconds until the Fitbit logo is seen on the screen.
What should you do if your Fitbit keeps activating the water lock even when you aren’t near water?
If your Fitbit automatically enters water lock mode, consider wearing it higher on your wrist. Also, ensure that it fits snugly but not too tightly.
In addition, we have found that wearing your Fitbit on the inside of your wrist rather than on the outside helps with this particular difficulty.
Fitbit’s water lock mode is a must-have feature for anyone who plans to use their watch while swimming or other water-related activities. It also disables your tracker’s buttons from being activated.
When the water lock is on, your screen and buttons are locked. You’ll still see notifications and alarms on your tracker, but you’ll have to unlock the screen to interact with them.
Hopefully, you found this article interesting and informative and learned everything about water lock mode on Fitbit. However, if you have any questions, please post them in the comments area below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does water lock do on Fitbit?
Fitbit water lock stops your Fitbit’s buttons from functioning in the shower or the pool. Water lock prevents you from interacting with the tracker, but it will display alarms and notifications.
Why my Fitbit keeps activating Water Lock?
If you wear your Fitbit on the lower part of your wrist, it may activate the water lock. This issue may also arise if the device is worn outside the wrist. To resolve this, follow the steps outlined above.
Is there a Water Lock feature on the Fitbit Charge 5?
Yes, the water lock mode is available on the Fitbit Charge 5. To activate the water lock on Charge 5,
- First, scroll down from the clock screen
- Tap Water Lock twice.
To disable the water lock,
- Firmly press and hold your finger in the screen’s centre for two taps before releasing it.
- If you don’t see “Unlocked” appear on the screen, you may need to press the screen harder.
How can I turn on the Fitbit Inspire 2’s water lock feature?
To activate the water lock feature on Fitbit Inspire 2, you have to follow these steps:
- Press and hold the tracker buttons for a few seconds
- Hit the water lock twice with a strong tap on your device’s screen.
Remember: the water lock is automatically turned on as soon as you begin a swim in the Fitbit Exercise app.
How to Turn on Fitbit Luxe water Lock?
To activate the water lock mode on Fitbit Luxe,
- Swipe down from the lock screen,
- Select Water Lock
- Press the power button twice to lock your screen.
- Do a hard double tap on the center of the screen to unlock your device and unlock the water lock.
- Tap harder if you don’t get the “Unlocked” message to appear on your phone screen.
It’s also worth noting that the water lock is immediately activated when you begin swimming in the Exercise app.
How to unlock Fitbit Inspire 2 from the water lock?
To disable the water lock feature on the Fitbit Inspire 2, double-tap the centre of the screen firmly with your finger.