The Apple Watch is a great piece of technology that allows you to stay connected to the digital world even when you’re not near your phone. However, you may find yourself in a situation where you need to update your Apple Watch but cannot do so because you do not have access to your iPhone.
To update your Apple watch without pairing it with iPhone, make sure it is connected to the internet. As long as you’re connected to Wi-Fi, you can update your watch through your settings app.
After that, go to General > Software Update. If a new update is available, click on Install. That’s it!
If you’re still facing a problem, then read this article to find the best solution.
How to Update an Apple Watch Without Pairing with iPhone?
On your Apple Watch, smaller updates will be released throughout the year to repair errors and possibly introduce new features. So, it is essential to keep your iOS device up to date with the most recent version for optimal performance.
But, if you don’t have an iPhone, you can still update your Apple Watch by following these instructions.
- Please ensure that your Apple Watch is connected to WiFi before updating.
- On your watch, open the Settings app.
- Go to General > Software Update.
- Then, install any available updates by selecting Install and following the on-screen directions.
Never restart your Apple Watch until the update is complete; instead, leave it plugged in to charge. Your Apple Watch will automatically restart after the update is complete.
How to Update Apple Watch on Your iPhone
You may update your Apple Watch through the Watch app on your iPhone. You can download this app from the Apple store.
To update your Apple Watch, these are the instructions to follow:
- On your iPhone, open the Watch app.
- Select the My Watch option.
- Select General > Software Update from the left-hand menu.
- Download and install the new software.
Can You Use Apple Watch without Pairing with an iPhone?
Yes, it is possible to use your Apple watch without pairing it to your phone. But you will not have access to all of the watch’s features. For example, it is impossible to make phone calls, send or receive text messages, or view e-mails.
However, if you want to use your Apple Watch without an iPhone, you can download apps that don’t require an iPhone to access some of the watch’s functions. A few examples of these apps include weather apps, calculators, timers, etc.
Aside from that, you may keep track of your physical activity, check your heart rate, set a stopwatch, listen to music, look at photos, and many more.
How to Pair an Apple Watch to an iPhone?
Using an iPhone with an Apple Watch provides you access to all of the watch’s best features. Plus, it’s easy to pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone, and it only takes a few minutes.
To connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Select the My Watch option from the drop-down menu.
- Press the name of your watch at the top of the screen.
- Tap to pair your devices
- Keep your watch close to your iPhone.
- Tap Pair New Watch.
- Follow the instructions on your iPhone to complete the pairing of your watch.
After connecting your watch to your iPhone, you’ll be able to use all of its functions, including smart notifications, making and receiving calls, reading e-mails, fitness tracking, and more.
How to Unpair an Apple Watch from iPhone?
If you want to remove your Apple Watch from your iPhone, use the Watch app on your iPhone.
To unpair your watch, follow these instructions:
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap the My Watch tab.
- Tap the name of your watch at the top of the screen.
- Choose Unpair Watch from the menu.
- Confirm unpairing your watch.
Resetting your Apple Watch will also allow you to unpair your devices. You can reset your watch by following these directions:
- Hold the side button until the Power Off slider appears, then release the button.
- Drag the slider to turn off your watch.
- Press and Hold down the side button until you see the Apple logo.
After unpairing your watch from your iPhone, you will be unable to access any functionality that requires an iPhone.
How do I Factory Reset my Apple Watch?
There are two ways to factory reset your Apple watch, either using your iPhone or simply utilizing your Apple watch.
- Reset Apple Watch using iPhone
Unpairing the Apple Watch from the iPhone is the best approach for performing a factory reset. It will create a backup, erase your watch, and remove its connection to your phone.
Here’s how to do a factory reset on your Apple Watch:
- First of all, open the Watch app on your phone
- Select the My Watch tab, and then tap All Watches
- Tap the circled “i” next to the watch you want to unpair
- Press Unpair Apple Watch.
- If you have a cellular plan, you can either keep or drop it.
- If prompted, enter the password for your Apple ID.
- As soon as the unpairing is finished, you’ll see the notification “Start Pairing.”
Factory Reset Directly on Apple Watch
It is possible to reset your Apple Watch even if you do not own an iPhone. Follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Watch’s Settings app.
- Tap on the General tab.
- After you’ve slide down to the bottom, press Reset
- Tap Erase All Content and Settings
- If you’re using a passcode, enter it when prompted
- Swipe down and tap Erase All or Erase All & Keep Plan if you have a cellular watch
Can I Update My Apple Watch Without WiFi?
Yes, you can update your Apple Watch even if you don’t have access to the internet or WiFi. But don’t forget to keep your watch plugged in while the update is taking place.
The steps include:
- Open the Watch App on your Apple Watch.
- Select the My Watch tab
- Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update in the iPhone’s settings
- If prompted, enter the passcode for your iPhone or Apple Watch.
- Download the update. That’s it.
How Do I Update my Apple Watch with Cellular Data?
To update your Apple Watch with cellular data, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone
- Click on the My Watch tab, then choose Cellular.
- To add a new plan, select Add a New Plan and then follow the on-screen instructions that appear when you do so.
How Do I Know If My Apple Watch is Up to Date?
By checking the new updates available to download, you may know that your watch is updated or needs an update. You can check for new updates by performing the following steps:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Tap My Watch, go to General > Software Update, then tap Download and Install if an update is available.
What Should I Do If My Apple Watch Refuses to Update?
The following is a list of essential considerations you should make if your Apple Watch is not updating properly:
- Plug your Apple Watch’s charger into the watch so that it can be charged.
- Hold down the side button until you see Power Off on your Apple Watch to restart it.
- Restarting the device may help if the update won’t start again.
Another way to fix this problem is to open the Watch app on your iPhone, select General > Usage -> Software Update, and then delete the update file. Remove the file from your device and try downloading and installing watchOS again.
To conclude, it is all about how to update an Apple Watch without pairing it to an iPhone. Maintaining the latest software versions on all of your Apple devices is the best way to ensure that you have the most recent bug patches and security updates. However, to make this possible, you’ll need a good internet connection to ensure that the procedure runs successfully.
We hope that now you have a better understanding of how to update an Apple watch without pairing. If you have any other queries regarding the topic, please feel free to mention them in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can I set up my Apple Watch to connect to WiFi?
If you wish to connect your Apple Watch to a WiFi network, you’ll need to be within range of that network.
The following are the steps to join a WiFi network
- Open the Settings app on your watch.
- Tap WiFi.
- Select the network to which you’d like to connect.
- Enter the password for the WiFi network if prompted.
Still, if you can’t connect to a WiFi network, contact Apple Support.
How can I use cellular data to update my Apple Watch?
With cellular data, you can update your Apple Watch without connecting to a WiFi network. However, we recommend using WiFi instead of cellular data on your Apple Watch because cellular usage drains the battery more quickly.
Why can’t I update my Apple Watch?
You may not be able to update your Apple Watch for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Your iPhone may not be running the latest version of iOS.
- It’s also possible that your watch isn’t sufficiently charged.
- Lastly, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on so that your devices may connect.
Hey! I’m Saad. My passion for tech wearables is true, and it started when my brother gave me a gift of a smartwatch.
I started Gorilla-FitnessWatches to give the latest and most reliable information to anyone who needed it. If you have any questions regarding smartwatches, fitness trackers, or smart rings, feel free to contact me.